Polaris Debuts 2009 Product Line Up Geared to Win with Every Rider
Polaris Industries Inc. unveiled its product offerings for 2009, highlighted by the company's biggest product launch in All-Terrain (ATVs) and UTV vehicle history, and its celebration of a decade of success in the motorcycle industry.
The 2009 product line up featured an array of new machines driven to showcase the powersports leader’s commitment to delivering industry-leading quality and innovation to every kind of rider. Polaris introduced its 2009 products to dealers in Las Vegas , Nev. , as part of its five-day summer sales meeting at The Palazzo Resort and Casino, in Las Vegas .
"New product innovation is the driving force for Polaris success and, with the biggest product launch in our history, Polaris continues to fuel the fire and build momentum in 2009," said Bennett Morgan, president and chief operating officer, Polaris Industries Inc. "Despite a challenging external environment, Polaris is thriving behind the strength of its products and business practices which have fueled growth and gains in all market categories."
To introduce its 2009 model year motorcycles to its dealers, Victory hosted its own "Bike Night" at the Arlen Ness Las Vegas dealership, and kicked off its celebration as the first successful American motorcycle company in 60 years with a one-of-a-kind stage show and custom cruiser contest. The ATV and RANGER divisions rolled out their 2009 products with a red-hot, opening-night show filled with blazing flames, fireworks and a collection of new, industry-leading machines which moved dealers to the edge of their seats.
Polaris has led the way in product innovation both in the Recreational/Utility and Sport markets. The Polaris Sportsman line was the first American-made ATV with industry-firsts such as automatic transmission, electronic fuel injection, independent rear suspension, on-demand true all-wheel drive and engine braking. For high-performance sport quads, Polaris introduced the first sport quad with independent rear suspension and was the first manufacturer to offer a purpose-built line up of sport quads for the track, trail and sand. The 2009 ATV product line builds on the tradition and excellence that has come to be expected from "The World's Toughest ATVs." In order to meet the ever-changing needs of the powersports enthusiast, Polaris continues to introduce new, innovative products and industry-leading improvements which cater to every type of ATV rider. The new offerings in 2009 fuel the Polaris Recreation & Utility, Sport and Youth ATV market to unprecedented levels of performance and comfort.
· Sportsman® Line -- More than One million ATV riders have experienced the legendary Polaris Sportsman line. How do you make a classic even better? Re-invent it with exclusive and industry-leading features that make it the “Best Sportsman Ever.”
- more -
o Sportsman 850 XP and 550 XP -- The Sportsman 850 XP and 550 XP join the Polaris family of premium 1-Up Sportsman ATVs this year. With an even better ride than the classic Sportsman, these two new models are built for "Xtreme Performance." The Sportsman 850 XP and 550 XP are 99 percent new and come equipped with exclusive and industry-leading features. The Sportsman 850 XP boasts a new, more-powerful 850cc, twin EFI engine that churns out 70 horsepower, while the Sportsman 550 XP has a new 549cc, single EFI engine with 40 horsepower. An upgraded suspension including Dual A-Arm front suspension and Rolled IRS in the rear makes the new Sportsman XP's ride smoother and more controlled. In addition, the two new models feature better clutching, the highest pulling and towing power and the biggest rack capacity of any ATV on the market, making it not only scream down the trails but also an extremely tough work companion. For added steering ease on the toughest terrain, Polaris is offering a power steering version of both models. Polaris’ power steering system is the most powerful system available offering variable assist which provides the least steering effort at slow speeds and more positive feedback and more resistance at high speeds. The new Sportsman XPs also boast an updated look that includes better ergonomics, new wheels and a better fit and finish.
o Sportsman 800 6x6 Big Boss -- There's big and than there is the Sportsman 800 6x6 Big Boss. New in 2009, the workhorse of the Sportsman line has an 800-class engine, six-wheel independent suspension and six-wheel shaft drive to go along with the Polaris Engine Braking System (EBS) and Active Descent Control (ADC). The Sportsman 800 6x6 Big Boss combines more power and a smoother suspension to give riders the ultimate work ATV.
Polaris will continue to offer the Sportsman 800 EFI H.O., the Sportsman 500 EFI, Sportsman 500 H.O., Sportsman 400 H.O., Sportsman 300 and Trail Boss 330 as part of its value line of ATVs in 2009. Polaris' 2-Up offering includes the most-versatile Sportsman X2 line (Sportsman 800 X2 and Sportsman 500 X2) and "The World's Most Comfortable ATVs", the Sportsman 800 EFI Touring and Sportsman 500 EFI Touring also will be available for 2009.
· High Performance Sport ATVs -- Polaris has redesigned its high performance line of Outlaw sport quads with a new look in 2009. Each of the three Outlaw models (Outlaw 525 IRS, Outlaw 525 S and the Outlaw 450 MXR) received new, aggressive styling with a single headlight, a lowered center of gravity, conventional steering and a six-pound weight reduction. The 2009 Outlaws also sport aluminum heel pockets and front bumper, adjustable front brake lever and a steering post that accepts thicker bar mounts for easier customization. The 2009 Outlaw models with their new look, key premium features to go along with KTM power plants, 5-speed transmission with reverse and hydraulic clutch deliver the highest level performance on the trail, the track or in the dunes.
· Youth ATVs – For 2009, Polaris combined their hottest-selling Side-by-Side, the RANGER RZR, with its best-selling Youth ATV lineup to create the RANGER RZR 170. For youth riders 12 and up, the youth RANGER RZR 170 has a four-stroke, air-cooled, 169cc engine with electric start and an automatic transmission. Styled similar to its adult counterpart, the Side-by-Side has a sporty, aggressive look and holds a driver and passenger for double the fun. Polaris will continue to offer the Sportsman 90, Outlaw 90 and the Outlaw 50 which received significant
- more -
enhancements for a better ride. Polaris reduced the shifting effort, improved the durability, ride, turning radius and cold-starting, and added a running tail light on all Youth models for 2009. In addition, the Polaris youth line continues to lead the way in rider safety with features such as a removable ignition key and electronic throttle safety control. Speed controls enable adults to set a maximum speed control limit while other safety features including daytime running lights, full floorboards and heat shields help protect young riders.
“2009 marks the evolution of our ATV line,” said Mike Dougherty, vice president for the ATV Division at Polaris. “The addition of the next-generation, 99 percent all-new Sportsman XP models, the redesign of the Outlaw models and the addition of a Youth RANGER RZR is part of our commitment to continue to innovate our ATVs to meet the ever-changing needs of the ATV enthusiast.”
RANGER™ Side-by-Side Vehicles
Model Year 2009 brings the most significant product launch in Polaris RANGER history with the introduction of the next generation of RANGER utility vehicles, and the addition of the pure-sport RANGER RZR S. Whether you want to work harder or play faster, the 2009 RANGER Side-by-Side lineup brings exciting new models and big improvements to everyone in RANGER country.
· RANGER Utility -- The rugged re-engineered RANGER utility lineup featuring the new RANGER 4x4, RANGER XP and RANGER HD, the ultimate heavy-duty utility vehicle, ushers in a new era in RANGER history. The new 2009 RANGERs were redesigned to work harder with the most-armored front end ever designed for protection of critical components, a redesigned bumper for added durability, front end protection and other hardest working features including easier steering, more dash storage and new, work-enabling ergonomics. In addition, an exclusive, Dual A-arm, motion ratio, preloaded suspension adjustment and anti-kickback steering make the smoothest ride in the industry even smoother. The RANGER CREW, the only six-passenger, electronic fuel injected and fastest people hauler on the market, and the monster-traction RANGER 6x6 round out the hardest working, smoothest riding utility vehicle lineup on the market
o RANGER HD – Known as the ultimate “Hardest Working, Smoothest Riding” Side-by-Side, the new RANGER HD is perfect for farm, construction site or any application that requires heavy hauling and towing. The new RANGER HD is equipped with all of the new RANGER features plus the first-ever Self-Leveling Suspension on a utility vehicle. When hauling loads such as fertilizer, feed or building materials, the Nivomat® shocks automatically adjust the suspension resulting in the highest loaded ground clearance of any utility vehicle. In addition, the RANGER HD’s power steering with exclusive Variable Assist allows for one-finger steering at low speeds and eliminates feedback at high speeds so the operator can work longer and enjoy the ride.
· RANGER RZR – The RANGER RZR took the Side-by-Side industry by storm as the fastest-accelerating and only trail-capable Side-by-Side on the market in 2008. This year, Polaris is offering the recreational rider thirsting for ultimate sport performance, the new RANGER RZR S. Polaris also added two red-hot RANGER RZR models for 2009 – Nuclear Sunset with custom paint, cut and sew seats, custom decals on the hood and sides, silver-painted cab and springs, and 8-spoke, cast aluminum rims; and Sunset Red with custom paint, cut and sew seats, black cab, silver-painted springs, and 8-spoke, cast aluminum rims. In addition, the 2009 RANGER RZR
- more -
features smoother transmission shifting, a more-durable shoulder bolster, reduced exhaust noise, covered, under-seat storage and a new heel pocket to limit motion on the gas pedal for improved low-speed driving.
o RANGER RZR S – The new RANGER RZR S is the ultimate, pure-sport Side-by-Side built for the desert, dunes and open spaces. The machine delivers unmatched performance using an 800 H.O. EFI Polaris twin engine that churns out a 63 MPH top speed for the serious adrenaline junkie. To
complement the screaming speed, the RANGER RZR S features Polaris’ exclusive, long travel
suspension kit, high-performance features such as Chrome-Moly upper front A-Arms and adjustable Fox® performance shocks, and a custom Turbo Silver paint scheme with race-inspired graphics, fender flairs and 26-inch Maxxis Big-Horn tires with 12-inch, eight-spoke aluminum rims for an ultra-aggressive look.
“The 2009 line up is the most-significant and extensive product introduction in RANGER history,” said Matt Homan , general manager of Polaris’ Side-by-Side division. “We took the industry-leading RANGER and made it work harder and ride smoother, creating the hardest working, smoothest riding utility Side-by-Sides ever built. We improved the hottest Side-by-Side on the market, the RANGER RZR, and added the RANGER RZR S for the pure-sport market. Our 2009 line up has a vehicle for any Side-by-Side enthusiast making it the most-complete offering of Side-by-Sides by any manufacturer.”
Victory motorcycles celebrated 10 years of looking ahead with the introduction of its 2009 lineup, comprised of the industry's highest quality, modern, innovative American motorcycles. In 2009, Victory once again has delivered a full line of cruisers and touring bikes with unique, progressive styling, including the sculpted fuel tanks, custom-inspired bodywork and stunning paint and chrome that highlights the bikes' smooth, flowing lines it is renowned for. With over 50,000 riders on the open road, Victory's growth has attracted new legions of riders who are younger, better educated, more affluent and drawn more women to its products over its first 10 years, and its 2009 products embody that change. All Victory cruiser models this year will feature a new monochrome Victory tank badge signifying an evolutionary change in the company's brand, along with other improvements and enhancements providing riders with more power, better handling and superior comfort. In addition, the entire 2009 cruiser line has received enhancements and improvements to its lighting, drivetrain, fuel pump and fuel tank, along with new wheels and sprockets, all geared to maintain the industry's highest customer satisfaction rating of 94 percent and provide riders with the ultimate motorcycle experience.
· 10th Anniversary Victory Vision® -- To celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Victory motorcycles, Victory has taken 10 years of innovation and progressive design and put it into the most exclusive motorcycle the company has ever offered -- the 10th Anniversary Victory Vision. Only 100 of these exclusively-numbered, limited-edition bikes, based on a 2009 Victory Vision Tour, will be produced. The 10th Anniversary Victory Vision takes the class-leading comfort and breakthrough styling of the industry-changing, American luxury-touring cruiser and adds to it numerous special features. The bike is equipped with extra chrome trim including chrome inner leg fairings, side covers, access panel, grilles and a High Intensity Discharge headlight. A special anniversary paint scheme of Antares Red with Black Metallic accents and gold pinstripes – essentially the same colors used on the first Victory Motorcycle ever built 10 years ago – accompanies a special 10th
- more -
Anniversary badge above the taillight and on each side storage compartment. Additional features include heated handgrips and seats, an electronically controlled windscreen, communications and "infotainment" devices such as XM Radio, CB radio, driver-passenger communications systems and a Victory Vision GPS system.
· Next Generation Freedom 106/6 V-Twin Engine – The most significant enhancement across Victory’s 2009 cruiser line up is the introduction of the Next Generation Freedom 106/6 V-Twin Engine. The Vegas Jackpot, Hammer and Hammer S will all be equipped with the new 106-ci/1731cc V-Twin engine, featuring Stage 2
Cams and a 6-speed transmission with Overdrive. Additionally, the Next Generation 106/6 V-Twin Engine produces 97 horsepower and 113 foot-pounds of torque, and includes a Closed Loop Fuel Injection to ensure the most efficient fuel delivery for consistently, optimized performance.
· Kingpin Low – The 2009 Kingpin Low brings the ride, handling, and power of the Kingpin and introduces it to a new rider base. Developed to provide a better fit for smaller or shorter riders, the lowered classic cruiser brings a new level comfort and stability to go along with a visually stunning machine. The Kingpin Low has a lower seat height (25.2 inches – over one inch lower than standard Kingpin) and sculpted side covers (1 1/2 inches narrower) that create a more direct reach to the ground. Adding to the comfort and confidence of the rider is the Kingpin Low's easy-to-reach hand controls, 2-inch pullback handlebars and an adjustable brake lever to accommodate riders with smaller hands. The floorboards are set two inches rearward from the standard Kingpin, moving the controls closer to the rider and the passenger seat/footpegs have been removed in order to give the bike a clean, cool look while optimizing a solo rider’s comfort and confidence.
· Ness Signature Series – The creative artistry of Arlen and Cory Ness, two of the country's legendary custom bike builders and Victory styling partners, is once again on display in a pair of limited edition Victory models in 2009. Both the 2009 Arlen Ness Signature Series Victory Vision and the Cory Ness Signature Series Vegas Jackpot have been produced in a special, limited-edition quantity with less than one bike per each U.S. Victory dealer. To reinforce the limited-edition nature of these models, each 2009 Ness bike will have a metal plate with the bike’s number, either the Arlen Ness or Cory Ness logo, along with a facsimile of their respective autograph. Other features include custom paint schemes, tons of newly styled Ness chrome and billet accessories, along with Ness wheels and an extensive list of other Ness-designed details. Victory has also extended its partnership with the Ness family and will begin working with third generation custom bike builder, Zack Ness, on future projects.
· Roland Sands Partnership – Victory fueled its passion for bringing riders a fresh approach by announcing a new partnership with custom bike designer, Roland Sands. Together, Victory and Sands will continue to push the boundaries in modern motorcycle design and styling, creating high-quality, custom motorcycles geared toward attracting newer, younger riders. As part of its 10th Anniversary celebration this week in Las Vegas , Sands and Victory unveiled a custom 2009 Victory 8-Ball showcasing the designer's creative genius and the unique, progressive styling Victory is known for.
"For 10 years Victory has been driven to present a new, higher level of American innovation and a motorcycle for every type of rider," said Mark Blackwell , vice president of Victory Motorcycles. "The 2009 Victory line up with entries in